Sunday, June 22, 2008

Virtual Center 2.5 error code 2 (0x2) Event ID: 7024

I was upgrading Virtual Center to VC 2.5 update 1 today. I ran into the following issue while onsite. The install bombed during the upgrade. Virtual center would not start properly. Listed below is the message:

The VMware Virtual Center Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2). Event ID: 7024

During the troubleshooting process I found that the installer didn’t install all the necessary files needed to start the Virtual Center service. I was able to add the folders needed in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Virtual Center. I was able to find the folders that needed to be replaced by running vpxd.exe –s when I ran this command it told me which files didn’t exist and which path the folder needed to be located. This needs to be done on the Virtual Center server.

I added the folders and reran the vpxd.exe –s this allowed Virtual Center to start.

No comments: