Sunday, June 1, 2008

My EMC AX4 Experience

I just wanted to give my opinion and experiences with the EMC AX4. I am a consultant that deploys virtualization and SAN storage in customer’s environments in North and South Carolina.

I think the EMC AX4 is a step in the right direction. The AX4 will work with ISCSI or Fiber Channel. The AX4 allow customers that normally cannot afford a Clariion the ability to purchase a SAN at lower price point. This will allow companies with smaller budgets the ability to purchase a SAN.

I have worked with earlier versions of the AX Series. EMC kept Naviexpress which is very easy to navigate and configure. I like that the AX4 has the ability to add extra disk shelves to the SAN infrastructure. Also it is pretty easy to setup ISCSI or Fiber Channel on the AX4. However, I prefer to work on the EMC Clariion.

I think the Clariion is a little more challenging and definitely has a learning curve when compared to the AX4. The AX4 definitely holds it’s on in this competitive Storage market. However, if you do deploy an AX4 beware there is a power button on the back that turns on the actual SAN. This is different from the EMC Clariion. If anyone has worked with the EMC Clariion you know that the Clariion will power on once you turn on the power switches located on the SPS batteries. I didn’t notice the power button on the back at first. It was a silly thing but something that I overlooked at first.

In closing the EMC AX4 seems to work well with ESX Server and provides customers the ability to purchase a SAN and start getting the benefits of using a SAN.

No comments: